Thursday, January 13, 2011

Federal Programming

"I like the environment...and oatmeal." At least that's what I wrote as my "interesting fact" on my student info sheet for ECN 151. I plastered by notebook with Power Vote stickers and carpooled to campus today. I recycle when my roommates allow me, and I generally buy used books. I bike and walk around Macon and unplug my appliances. I turn off lights when I leave a room and turn off the water while I brush my teeth. I TRY to live sustainably, but it's difficult in American society especially as a college student. Sometimes it's easier to buy prepackaged foods instead of fresh, organic produce, and to-go boxes in the cafeteria are quite convenient.

Individual efforts are essential; I'm a true believer of grassroots movements. However, the American federal government doesn't set a good precedence in sustainability. American society encourages over-consumption...and here I am at my blog topic: federal programs and their financial sustainability. I'm supposed to choose a federal program where I would allocate more money and one that I would cut funding to. I'll start with the budget cut: the Department of Defense. According to Wikipedia, my favorite encyclopedia for concise information, 23% of the federal government's budget goes to defense...in other words, $737 billion. This includes both money for DoD and Homeland Security. I realize that many will disagree with me, but I don't believe that the money is spent efficiently. I don't think our true motives to invade Iraq were public knowledge, and though the war is TECHNICALLY over, we are still allocating funds there. Also ... I admit: I'm a pacifist. 

I think the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) should be budgeted more money. To me this seems like a variation of "homeland security." The FDA has an allocated $2.3 billion of the $3.5 trillion American federal government budget. If you've watched Food, Inc. you've heard about the horrifying food industry. There are many opportunities for mass contamination of our food supply (that most think is safe) in an industrial system. Check out the website: it may surprise you. I think the FDA should be given more money to keep Americans healthy and safe. I love food, but I don't love our convenient/fast-food system. 

It would be (nearly) impossible for the American society to be truly sustainable, but all efforts are important. As individuals we should strive to change our lifestyles and influence our friends and family members to make changes as well. Also we should vote and support officials that work towards sustainability and write our representatives to remind them of our desires for sustainability. Small changes do make a difference. Also ... I'm an optimist.

LOOK: The greatest video ever (okay...exaggeration)

No comments:

Post a Comment